Digital Photography 2 – Mid Term Project
Your school newspaper editor is seeking to showcase a photograph for a feature article about teen food choices. You are a photographer for your school newspaper. The editor has requested that you photograph a food item or group of items that interest teenagers. The selected photograph must be in sharp focus and draws the viewer into the image. The photograph must also display a strong focal point, rule of thirds, and utilize shallow depth of field. In addition you are required to show a contrast of light and dark values that will emphasize the food item or items to the target audience.
The newspaper editor requires the following elements in your photograph of a food item or items.
- The subject is in sharp focus
- Use of the rule of thirds in composing the focal point
- A demonstration of shallow depth of field
- A range of values; cast shadows and highlights and/or reflection through the use of directional lighting techniques
- A finished, edited and retouched image that is 1200 pixels wide by 900 pixels tall at a resolution of 240
In addition to the photo the newspaper editor requires you to create a Word Document with the following information present:
- Describe in detail how you used and/or created
- Rule of thirds to emphasize the focal point
- Shallow depth of field
- Give one example of how you used directional studio lighting techniques or computer software to create contrast and a range of values for shadows, highlights and reflection
- Describe in detail the food items used and why you placed them in that arrangement.
- Use photographic/compositional visual arts vocabulary correctly
Resources: Check out each link to figure out which food you will take a picture of. Make it be a kind of food that is unique to you and or your culture.
Depth of Field
FLICKR GROUPS – to see some photos